historic

Quaker Meadows House Museum

Morganton, North Carolina
Client: Historic Burke Foundation
Renovations 1991-1997, cost $150,000

The McDowell house and property, commonly referred to as "Quaker Meadows," consists of a two story, Federal style brick dwelling with a detached, one story brick kitchen. Constructed between 1812 and 1820 by Charles McDowell, Jr., the house fell into disrepair and was deeded to the Historic Burke Foundation, Inc. for restoration to its antebellum period state. Exterior work consisted of reconstruction of the original kitchen and porches, and restoration of the original hand-made brick. A complete interior renovation includes heating, lighting and air-conditioning, allowing the house to be operated as a museum.

 

choose more from the category

historic...

Claxton Elementary AB Tech Sunnicrest YMI Cultural Center Quaker Meadows Ravenscroft Building